Train Kept A Rollin'
The appointment with Dr. Engel went as well as could be expected today.
Basically, I have a run of the mill, garden variety cancer. I have a tumour 2.5 cm x 1.5 cm x 2.0 cm and it has spread to at least one lymph node. The cancer is only on the inner part of the lymph node so this is a good sign. The fewer lymph nodes affected the better, but this can't be determined until I have surgery.
I have opted for a lumpectomy which will remove the tumour and surrounding tissue. Dr. Engel will also do an auxiliary lymph node cross section, ultimately removing the 12 lymph nodes under my arm. The tumour and lymph nodes will be tested, which will provide us with more information. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 10:30 a.m.
Prior to the surgery I will be scheduled for several tests involving another mammogram, perhaps one or two more biopsies and some blood tests.
After surgery, I will have a drain under my arm for several days, so fluid does not build up at the surgery site. Dr. Engel told me that it would take 2-3 weeks to recover from the surgery. I will also have to do exercises to regain the mobility in my arm.
Once I have recovered from the surgery, I will meet with another oncologist who will determine what chemotherapy I will have. This chemotherapy will last approximately 6 months. I may, or may not be able to work during this period of time.
After chemo, I will move on to radiation for 4-6 weeks. As luck would have it, I have already met my radiologist, Dr. Perera. It turns out that Dr. Engel is conducting a study on breast cancer with Dr. Perera. Long story short, I have signed myself up for 2 more cat scans than I normally would be having. These extra tests will not only assist my treatment, but others that come after me.
Dr. Engel has every confidence that the cancer I have is curable and treatable. It will just be a very long journey.
And what better way to travel than by train with Aerosmith?......Train Kept a Rollin'
Rock 'n roll baby, Rock 'n roll!
Love CJ
Basically, I have a run of the mill, garden variety cancer. I have a tumour 2.5 cm x 1.5 cm x 2.0 cm and it has spread to at least one lymph node. The cancer is only on the inner part of the lymph node so this is a good sign. The fewer lymph nodes affected the better, but this can't be determined until I have surgery.
I have opted for a lumpectomy which will remove the tumour and surrounding tissue. Dr. Engel will also do an auxiliary lymph node cross section, ultimately removing the 12 lymph nodes under my arm. The tumour and lymph nodes will be tested, which will provide us with more information. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 10:30 a.m.
Prior to the surgery I will be scheduled for several tests involving another mammogram, perhaps one or two more biopsies and some blood tests.
After surgery, I will have a drain under my arm for several days, so fluid does not build up at the surgery site. Dr. Engel told me that it would take 2-3 weeks to recover from the surgery. I will also have to do exercises to regain the mobility in my arm.
Once I have recovered from the surgery, I will meet with another oncologist who will determine what chemotherapy I will have. This chemotherapy will last approximately 6 months. I may, or may not be able to work during this period of time.
After chemo, I will move on to radiation for 4-6 weeks. As luck would have it, I have already met my radiologist, Dr. Perera. It turns out that Dr. Engel is conducting a study on breast cancer with Dr. Perera. Long story short, I have signed myself up for 2 more cat scans than I normally would be having. These extra tests will not only assist my treatment, but others that come after me.
Dr. Engel has every confidence that the cancer I have is curable and treatable. It will just be a very long journey.
And what better way to travel than by train with Aerosmith?......Train Kept a Rollin'
Rock 'n roll baby, Rock 'n roll!
Love CJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home