Got Pink?
Anyone that knows me is aware that I am a loyal fan of Aerosmith....okay, some may say obssessed.
For those that have listened to me talk about Aerosmith ad nauseum, they have also heard me blather on about the best Aerosmith cover band ever, Mama Kin. Check out their website at http://www.mamakinrocks.com/ for more info (yet another of my shameless plugs)! If you haven't seen them, pick and date and go. And don't forget to invite me!
This past weekend was the 3rd Annual Saugeen Springs Barn Bash held at the Saugeen Springs R.V. Park, headlined by Mama Kin of course.
Two years ago, Rosie planned for Mama Kin to play for her sister's 40th birthday at their RV park and it has turned into an annual event. Last year was the first year I attended and we all booked this weekend in our calendars a year ago. Well a year ago, I didn't really plan on having cancer, but what are you gonna do?
I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to travel up to Hanover for the entire weekend of frivolity with Cheryl, Rosie, Joanne, Jamie, band members and their families. I just didn't have THAT much energy in me.
So Pookie stepped up to the plate (yet again) and agreed to take me up to Hanover on Saturday evening for the show, pitch a tent and stay overnight. Mom kindly took Sydney for the night so we could enjoy ourselves.
Upon arrival, Rosie had made some special shirts for the girls to wear. They were entitled Got Pink? (Aerosmith plays a song called Pink), including a breast cancer ribbon and the Aerosmith logo. I was extremely touched by her thoughtfulness.....although Rosie does continue to try to squeeze me into the smallest shirts on the planet! Ha, ha.
So Mama Kin (namely, Frank, Mac, Jesse, Glenn and Andrew) came on at 9:10 p.m. and rocked that packed barn until it nearly came down!
During their first set Frank announced that they were playing a new song that they had learned especially for the evening (one of my and Rosie's favourites)....Seasons of Whither. Thanks, guys it was perfect. Also, thank you for NOT playing Angel!
The boys played until around 11:30 p.m. with all of us shaking our butts until they pretty much fell off! Then they left the "stage" while the crowd screamed for more.
While they were off the stage, I kept saying to the girls. "How come they haven't played Pink? They always play Pink?" Boy was I in for a surprise.
The next thing I know they all come running back to the stage each wearing a specially created shirt (again by Rosie). Their shirts said Show Us Your Pink, also with the pink breast cancer ribbon and the Aerosmith logo. I immediately burst into tears.
I was completely surprised and totally unaware of these plans. But knew immediately that Rosie was the mastermind behind it all.....with the band not far behind in agreement.
Mac got up in front of the crowd to say a few words to explain their t-shirts. I was crying so hard he couldn't look at me because he didn't know if he'd make it through! So sweet.
He explained to everyone that I was probably the biggest Aerosmith fan ever and have supported Mama Kin for many years (I'm thinking it's about 12 now). He said that I was going through a tough time right now and they wanted to show me their support.
Then steps in Frank to add that they were honoured that I had made the effort to come up to Hanover for their show and that they were going to play Pink for me!
Well they got a little help because I stayed on the stage for the whole song. It's a good thing that I know all of the words to that one!
So at this point, I really don't know how to say thank you to Rosie for making the shirts and working with the guys to pull this off. Words cannot really express how truly loved I felt at that moment in time.
I have so often said that my cancer (and bald head) are going to get me backstage to meet Steven Tyler again. I've got to work it out somehow!
But even if I do manage to be able to pull that one off, I'll just be another fan of the thousands that Steven Tyler and the band have met over their careers. It would be a memory that would last me a lifetime, but he'd forget about it in an instant.
In many ways, this weekend outshines that possibility. Because I have my own little "Aerosmith family". They have all taken me under their wing during my battle and I'll never forget it.
A special thank you again to Rosie for coming up with the idea and moving into stressed Rosie mode to make sure it all got pulled off perfectly without me finding out. I just know you've been picking at something on your face all week!
I'll never forget Rosie's first full-time day of work at SWOTA in 1994. I had just returned from an Aerosmith concert in Detroit, completely bagged coming into work with only 4 hours of sleep. She asked me "What concert did you go to see?" I said "Aerosmith." Her retort....."Why would you EVER go to see Aerosmith?"
Ah sweet grasshopper, I have taught you well.
Here's a photo of my Aerosmith family (Deb, Mac, Andrew, Rosie, Frank, Joanne, Glenn, Jesse, (Me) and Cheryl)!
For those that have listened to me talk about Aerosmith ad nauseum, they have also heard me blather on about the best Aerosmith cover band ever, Mama Kin. Check out their website at http://www.mamakinrocks.com/ for more info (yet another of my shameless plugs)! If you haven't seen them, pick and date and go. And don't forget to invite me!
This past weekend was the 3rd Annual Saugeen Springs Barn Bash held at the Saugeen Springs R.V. Park, headlined by Mama Kin of course.
Two years ago, Rosie planned for Mama Kin to play for her sister's 40th birthday at their RV park and it has turned into an annual event. Last year was the first year I attended and we all booked this weekend in our calendars a year ago. Well a year ago, I didn't really plan on having cancer, but what are you gonna do?
I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to travel up to Hanover for the entire weekend of frivolity with Cheryl, Rosie, Joanne, Jamie, band members and their families. I just didn't have THAT much energy in me.
So Pookie stepped up to the plate (yet again) and agreed to take me up to Hanover on Saturday evening for the show, pitch a tent and stay overnight. Mom kindly took Sydney for the night so we could enjoy ourselves.
Upon arrival, Rosie had made some special shirts for the girls to wear. They were entitled Got Pink? (Aerosmith plays a song called Pink), including a breast cancer ribbon and the Aerosmith logo. I was extremely touched by her thoughtfulness.....although Rosie does continue to try to squeeze me into the smallest shirts on the planet! Ha, ha.
So Mama Kin (namely, Frank, Mac, Jesse, Glenn and Andrew) came on at 9:10 p.m. and rocked that packed barn until it nearly came down!
During their first set Frank announced that they were playing a new song that they had learned especially for the evening (one of my and Rosie's favourites)....Seasons of Whither. Thanks, guys it was perfect. Also, thank you for NOT playing Angel!
The boys played until around 11:30 p.m. with all of us shaking our butts until they pretty much fell off! Then they left the "stage" while the crowd screamed for more.
While they were off the stage, I kept saying to the girls. "How come they haven't played Pink? They always play Pink?" Boy was I in for a surprise.
The next thing I know they all come running back to the stage each wearing a specially created shirt (again by Rosie). Their shirts said Show Us Your Pink, also with the pink breast cancer ribbon and the Aerosmith logo. I immediately burst into tears.
I was completely surprised and totally unaware of these plans. But knew immediately that Rosie was the mastermind behind it all.....with the band not far behind in agreement.
Mac got up in front of the crowd to say a few words to explain their t-shirts. I was crying so hard he couldn't look at me because he didn't know if he'd make it through! So sweet.
He explained to everyone that I was probably the biggest Aerosmith fan ever and have supported Mama Kin for many years (I'm thinking it's about 12 now). He said that I was going through a tough time right now and they wanted to show me their support.
Then steps in Frank to add that they were honoured that I had made the effort to come up to Hanover for their show and that they were going to play Pink for me!
Well they got a little help because I stayed on the stage for the whole song. It's a good thing that I know all of the words to that one!
So at this point, I really don't know how to say thank you to Rosie for making the shirts and working with the guys to pull this off. Words cannot really express how truly loved I felt at that moment in time.
I have so often said that my cancer (and bald head) are going to get me backstage to meet Steven Tyler again. I've got to work it out somehow!
But even if I do manage to be able to pull that one off, I'll just be another fan of the thousands that Steven Tyler and the band have met over their careers. It would be a memory that would last me a lifetime, but he'd forget about it in an instant.
In many ways, this weekend outshines that possibility. Because I have my own little "Aerosmith family". They have all taken me under their wing during my battle and I'll never forget it.
A special thank you again to Rosie for coming up with the idea and moving into stressed Rosie mode to make sure it all got pulled off perfectly without me finding out. I just know you've been picking at something on your face all week!
I'll never forget Rosie's first full-time day of work at SWOTA in 1994. I had just returned from an Aerosmith concert in Detroit, completely bagged coming into work with only 4 hours of sleep. She asked me "What concert did you go to see?" I said "Aerosmith." Her retort....."Why would you EVER go to see Aerosmith?"
Ah sweet grasshopper, I have taught you well.
Here's a photo of my Aerosmith family (Deb, Mac, Andrew, Rosie, Frank, Joanne, Glenn, Jesse, (Me) and Cheryl)!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home