It's All About Me

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Tattoo of the World

There has been a lot packed into this week so far.

Monday was Sydney's 2nd birthday. What a doll (if I do say so myself). She really enjoyed her party. In fact, she had a ball! I have updated her website with photos if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_joselyns/

Tuesday was a whirlwind of activity. We went to the pre-admittance clinic, where a nurse went through all of the particulars about the surgery, what to expect, where to go, checked my heart, blood pressure, took some blood, etc. We then got to watch a video on the surgery and the hemovac drain and then off for a chest x-ray. That was interesting! Thanks to Allison for coming with me at the last minute to be my second set of ears.

The pre-admittance clinic went much longer than I anticipated, but I did make it in time for Room 16's potluck. I'm never late for a party! Hmmmm..that jello was gooooood. Thanks to Julie, the room 16 funster, for organizing this one. Happy birthday to Cheryl & Carrie too!

At the end of the day on Tuesday, it was off to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. And lo and behold, I have two cavities. What the *&%#? I haven't had a cavity in 15 years. My dentist wants to fill them before the surgery. Great - add that to the list next week. Well, it will give me something to do!

Finally, a full day at the office on Wednesday. Basically a day to get myself organized and do some training. Thanks to all of my colleagues who are pitching in. I really do appreciate it.

Today, I was back at the hospital for my first cat scan, which is part of the study that I am participating in. First, I got hooked up to an IV (more poking), then into the cat scan suite to meet the two technicians. There was a lot of set-up that needed to be done to get me in the right position for the 20 second scan. I have plenty of marks on my body from green and blue markers. A nice look for sure.

An IV was set up so they could inject this special die into my veins just before the cat scan. This die goes to the tumour and hot spots in the lymph nodes, which then tells them a story. Man, what a weird feeling when that stuff shot through my veins. No allergic reaction, though! A good thing.

I was also given small little tattoos that will help the technicians to set up my 2nd cat scan and help Dr. Engel pinpoint where he needs to be during the surgery. Do you remember the Friends episode when Phoebe and Rachel go for their tattoos? Phoebe had a tiny little dot on her shoulder and she said it was a "Tattoo of the World". Well I have about 5 tattoos of the world on my chest now. These will compliment my Aerosmith tattoo on my shoulder quite nicely.

A good friend of ours, who shall remain nameless (okay Scott), says that you lose 10 IQ points for every tattoo. Sorry, Scott, I guess I'm down about 60 IQ points. Will you still be my friend? Ha, ha.

Well, tomorrow is my last day of work. It all feels so surreal. My desk is cleaned off and I have just a few more things to do before I go. But at 2 o'clock on Friday, the lights will go out....cause I'm off to a party. And we all know, I'm never late for a party!

More to come next week.

Love CJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home