Bone Scan
I was sent to the hospital today for a bone scan, which is basically a precautionary measure to ensure that my breast cancer hasn't spread to my bones. This is unlikely, but it's a good idea to have one done.
I was scheduled to go in this morning at 8:45 a.m., but vaguely remembered from Kim that when she had her bone scan done it was a two-step process. So I referred to Kim's handy dandy blog (thanks, Kim!) and sure enough that was the case. I had to go in early to have an injection of radioactive material, then go home for 3 hours and come back for the actual bone scan of my entire body. Pretty harmless.
So they have you lie down on this thin table, tape your feet together and strap down your arms. The scan starts at your head and slowly moves you through the machine. 25 minutes later you're good to go. They also had me turn my head to the side and do an extra head scan. Once this was completed, the technician took the "pictures" to the doctor to review to see if any further "pictures" were required. She came back and told me I could go. Oddly enough I never even asked when the results would be ready.
As I was lying on the table in the scanner I was thinking how lucky I am to have all of these medical diagnostic tools at my disposal. I am most grateful.
Then I was thinking about all of the people in the world that have to go through something like this. Those with no salary coverage, no drug coverage, no access to medical treatments, no support system.....how do they do it?
Yes, I was diagnosed with breast cancer...but look at everything I have going for me. I hope these thoughts will sustain me when the going gets tough over the next few months.
So let's get this process on the go. It will all be behind me soon.
Thanks again everyone.
Love CJ
I was scheduled to go in this morning at 8:45 a.m., but vaguely remembered from Kim that when she had her bone scan done it was a two-step process. So I referred to Kim's handy dandy blog (thanks, Kim!) and sure enough that was the case. I had to go in early to have an injection of radioactive material, then go home for 3 hours and come back for the actual bone scan of my entire body. Pretty harmless.
So they have you lie down on this thin table, tape your feet together and strap down your arms. The scan starts at your head and slowly moves you through the machine. 25 minutes later you're good to go. They also had me turn my head to the side and do an extra head scan. Once this was completed, the technician took the "pictures" to the doctor to review to see if any further "pictures" were required. She came back and told me I could go. Oddly enough I never even asked when the results would be ready.
As I was lying on the table in the scanner I was thinking how lucky I am to have all of these medical diagnostic tools at my disposal. I am most grateful.
Then I was thinking about all of the people in the world that have to go through something like this. Those with no salary coverage, no drug coverage, no access to medical treatments, no support system.....how do they do it?
Yes, I was diagnosed with breast cancer...but look at everything I have going for me. I hope these thoughts will sustain me when the going gets tough over the next few months.
So let's get this process on the go. It will all be behind me soon.
Thanks again everyone.
Love CJ

2 Comments:
At 8:18 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! hackensack university medical center bill pay 2003 ford focus
At 8:54 AM,
Anonymous said…
Very nice site! » » »
Post a Comment
<< Home