Movie Day
Yesterday, Kim and I went to our first breast cancer support group meeting at Wellspring.
Wellspring is this wonderful oasis in downtown London where people with cancer and their families and friends can go for support. They have a resource library, various support groups, different therapy sessions, reiki, peer support, etc. It is a great place to go.
Having said that I am not sure that I am cut out for the "support group" thing.
There were six participants and one facilitator in this lovely room at Wellspring. It was set up like a living room. Very cozy.
When the facilitator first started, she explained that she likes to begin each session by lighting a candle to symbolize.... (well I have to admit at this point she lost me). I just kept thinking that I couldn't look at Kim or I might start laughing. Not to be disrespectful in any way, but again this isn't my type of thing.
The session was more about the sharing of feelings than the sharing of information. I am an information junkie so I guess I was hoping that people would talk more about what kind of cancer they had, their treatments, side effects, what to expect, etc. This would have been more helpful to me.
I am fortunate enough to have my family and friends to share my feelings with and I've never felt that I have had to hide my feelings (good or bad) from them. So the "feelings" part of the support group for me isn't what I need.
Kim and I chatted afterward and decided that we would give it one more week. If the group doesn't turn into something that we find useful, it makes sense for us to bow out and perhaps let 2 others join.
So our "support group" might turn into movie day after all.
The VON nurse is coming again today to check me out. Yesterday my drainage was down to 32 ml so maybe I can get this thing removed by Friday. We'll have to see what today brings.
That's all for now folks.
Love CJ
Wellspring is this wonderful oasis in downtown London where people with cancer and their families and friends can go for support. They have a resource library, various support groups, different therapy sessions, reiki, peer support, etc. It is a great place to go.
Having said that I am not sure that I am cut out for the "support group" thing.
There were six participants and one facilitator in this lovely room at Wellspring. It was set up like a living room. Very cozy.
When the facilitator first started, she explained that she likes to begin each session by lighting a candle to symbolize.... (well I have to admit at this point she lost me). I just kept thinking that I couldn't look at Kim or I might start laughing. Not to be disrespectful in any way, but again this isn't my type of thing.
The session was more about the sharing of feelings than the sharing of information. I am an information junkie so I guess I was hoping that people would talk more about what kind of cancer they had, their treatments, side effects, what to expect, etc. This would have been more helpful to me.
I am fortunate enough to have my family and friends to share my feelings with and I've never felt that I have had to hide my feelings (good or bad) from them. So the "feelings" part of the support group for me isn't what I need.
Kim and I chatted afterward and decided that we would give it one more week. If the group doesn't turn into something that we find useful, it makes sense for us to bow out and perhaps let 2 others join.
So our "support group" might turn into movie day after all.
The VON nurse is coming again today to check me out. Yesterday my drainage was down to 32 ml so maybe I can get this thing removed by Friday. We'll have to see what today brings.
That's all for now folks.
Love CJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home