Early Pathology Results - I'm Cancer Free!
Today I went in for my second cat scan as a part of the study that I am participating in with Dr. Engel (surgeon) and Dr. Perera (radiologist). What an unexpected day this has become.
During my cat scan the technician asked how my surgery went and how my results turned out. I told her that I was still waiting for the results and I wasn't meeting with Dr. Engel until next Friday (the 30th). She seemed surprised, but neither of us commented further.
About an hour after I returned home from the hospital, I received a phone call from Dr. Perera. Apparently the tehnician had told him that I hadn't received my results yet, so he checked the system and called me personally to tell me what they were. So here goes:
1. The breast tumour was 1.4 cm in size, which turns out to be slightly smaller than they originally thought from the ultrasound (2 cm before).
2. The margins around the tumour were clear so Dr. Engel got it all. No further surgery - yeah!
3. The appearance (or aggressiveness) of the tumour was median - so not slow and not too fast - right down the middle.
3. Dr. Engel removed 16 lymph nodes (I thought I only had 12 before, but from the reading I have been doing apparently there are 30-50 in your armpit). Only 1 lymph node had a very micro mestastatic deposit (a fairly tiny gorup of cancer cells) less than 2 mm in size. This is very positive also.
I thanked Dr. Perera profusely for calling me and letting me know. A huge weight has been lifted.
I explained to Dr. Perera that Dr. Engel was planning on referring me to Dr. Potvin re: chemo treatment next week. Dr. Perera kindly offered to send the referral in today, which will hopefully cut down on my wait time to get into see her.
Dr. Perera also gave me some direction/options for radiation therapy, but at this point, I think I need to meet with Dr. Potvin re: chemo before I make any decisions on that front. But I do know that radiation will take place for 6.5 weeks after a 3-4 week rest period after chemo is complete.
I will still meet with Dr. Engel to go over my pathology report in more detail next Friday.
Thanks again to everyone for their love and support!
Love CJ
During my cat scan the technician asked how my surgery went and how my results turned out. I told her that I was still waiting for the results and I wasn't meeting with Dr. Engel until next Friday (the 30th). She seemed surprised, but neither of us commented further.
About an hour after I returned home from the hospital, I received a phone call from Dr. Perera. Apparently the tehnician had told him that I hadn't received my results yet, so he checked the system and called me personally to tell me what they were. So here goes:
1. The breast tumour was 1.4 cm in size, which turns out to be slightly smaller than they originally thought from the ultrasound (2 cm before).
2. The margins around the tumour were clear so Dr. Engel got it all. No further surgery - yeah!
3. The appearance (or aggressiveness) of the tumour was median - so not slow and not too fast - right down the middle.
3. Dr. Engel removed 16 lymph nodes (I thought I only had 12 before, but from the reading I have been doing apparently there are 30-50 in your armpit). Only 1 lymph node had a very micro mestastatic deposit (a fairly tiny gorup of cancer cells) less than 2 mm in size. This is very positive also.
I thanked Dr. Perera profusely for calling me and letting me know. A huge weight has been lifted.
I explained to Dr. Perera that Dr. Engel was planning on referring me to Dr. Potvin re: chemo treatment next week. Dr. Perera kindly offered to send the referral in today, which will hopefully cut down on my wait time to get into see her.
Dr. Perera also gave me some direction/options for radiation therapy, but at this point, I think I need to meet with Dr. Potvin re: chemo before I make any decisions on that front. But I do know that radiation will take place for 6.5 weeks after a 3-4 week rest period after chemo is complete.
I will still meet with Dr. Engel to go over my pathology report in more detail next Friday.
Thanks again to everyone for their love and support!
Love CJ

1 Comments:
At 11:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
Best regards from NY! Eyeglasses giorgio armani Anal teen gaping miami dialup internet provider
Post a Comment
<< Home