Priceless
Today's appointment was with Dr. Kylea Potvin, my medical oncologist (chemotherapist).
As expected, given my age, diagnosis, and test results, I will be having 8 rounds of chemo (spaced 3 weeks apart), 3-4 weeks rest, then 6.5 weeks of radiation.
My first chemo treatment will be on Friday, July 21st. If there are no delays with any of my treatments (i.e. low white blood cell count) my 8th and final round will be on December 15th. Merry Christmas!
For the first 4 rounds of chemo I will be receiving two drugs called Adriamycin and Cytoxan. These are common drugs used to treat breast cancer, among others. And yes, I will be losing my hair.
For the last 4 rounds of chemo I will be receiving hormone therapy (Herceptin) and what they call a biological treatment (Taxol), since my tumour tested positive for estrogen and progesterone. The last test also came back positive for the HER-2/Neu gene, hence the Taxol.
The last 4 rounds of chemo will begin on October 13th. The Herceptin will continue for a full year until October 2007. I will continue to receive the hormone therapy every 3 weeks by IV. The good news is that I will be able to work during this period of time.
So after a rest period of about a month (say the middle of January) I will begin radiation (everyday, Monday to Friday to the end of March). Then a few weeks rest before I think about going back to work.
Oh, by the way, the bone scan came back clear. So that hurdle is over. I will be scheduled for a stomach ultrasound next just to check out some of my internal organs. I also have a genetic counselling appointment on August 29th to determine if my case fits the criteria for genetic testing.
So the MasterCard bill for the next year:
Haircut before I go bald: $40
One week at the cottage before treatments begin: $500
First 4 rounds of chemo: $1500
Second 2 rounds of chemo with hormone therapy: $2000
6.5 weeks of radiation: $3000
Going through aggressive chemo, radiation and hormone therapy treatments over the next year to increase my chances of being alive 10 years from now to 90%: PRICELESS
Love CJ
As expected, given my age, diagnosis, and test results, I will be having 8 rounds of chemo (spaced 3 weeks apart), 3-4 weeks rest, then 6.5 weeks of radiation.
My first chemo treatment will be on Friday, July 21st. If there are no delays with any of my treatments (i.e. low white blood cell count) my 8th and final round will be on December 15th. Merry Christmas!
For the first 4 rounds of chemo I will be receiving two drugs called Adriamycin and Cytoxan. These are common drugs used to treat breast cancer, among others. And yes, I will be losing my hair.
For the last 4 rounds of chemo I will be receiving hormone therapy (Herceptin) and what they call a biological treatment (Taxol), since my tumour tested positive for estrogen and progesterone. The last test also came back positive for the HER-2/Neu gene, hence the Taxol.
The last 4 rounds of chemo will begin on October 13th. The Herceptin will continue for a full year until October 2007. I will continue to receive the hormone therapy every 3 weeks by IV. The good news is that I will be able to work during this period of time.
So after a rest period of about a month (say the middle of January) I will begin radiation (everyday, Monday to Friday to the end of March). Then a few weeks rest before I think about going back to work.
Oh, by the way, the bone scan came back clear. So that hurdle is over. I will be scheduled for a stomach ultrasound next just to check out some of my internal organs. I also have a genetic counselling appointment on August 29th to determine if my case fits the criteria for genetic testing.
So the MasterCard bill for the next year:
Haircut before I go bald: $40
One week at the cottage before treatments begin: $500
First 4 rounds of chemo: $1500
Second 2 rounds of chemo with hormone therapy: $2000
6.5 weeks of radiation: $3000
Going through aggressive chemo, radiation and hormone therapy treatments over the next year to increase my chances of being alive 10 years from now to 90%: PRICELESS
Love CJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home