Port-a-Cath
Today I had my port-a-cath put in. We arrived at the hospital for 8:30 a.m. and they took me right into day surgery.
By 9:50 a.m. I was being wheeled into surgery, where Dr. Garvin explained the procedure to me. I was having a hard time listening to what he said. I swear he had the bluest eyes I have ever seen.
I didn't have to go completely under for this procedure. It was just a local anaesthetic with some funky stuff thrown in through my IV. Melikey!
Since I was awake for the surgery they asked what music I wanted to hear. Why, Aerosmith of course! Kim told me to take in my own CD but I forgot this morning. They did have Dream On on one of their CDs so I did get to hear a little of my boys.
So basically this port-a-cath will allow much easier access for chemo and the herceptin for the next year. No more poking my veins in my left arm. They just poke right through the port-a-cath in my chest and whallah I am good to go.
Sean says I'm just like Neo in The Matrix!
The dressing needs to stay on the wound for about 1 week. I will head to my family doctor to have it removed next Friday.
Dr. Garvin says I will feel like my shoulder has been beaten up for about 1-2 weeks. But after that all should go back to normal.
Right now it is pretty uncomfortable and it feels very strange to have something underneath my skin. I guess it takes about 2 weeks to get used to that feeling.
Off to bed now. I need some sleep. It's been a long day.
Love CJ
By 9:50 a.m. I was being wheeled into surgery, where Dr. Garvin explained the procedure to me. I was having a hard time listening to what he said. I swear he had the bluest eyes I have ever seen.
I didn't have to go completely under for this procedure. It was just a local anaesthetic with some funky stuff thrown in through my IV. Melikey!
Since I was awake for the surgery they asked what music I wanted to hear. Why, Aerosmith of course! Kim told me to take in my own CD but I forgot this morning. They did have Dream On on one of their CDs so I did get to hear a little of my boys.
So basically this port-a-cath will allow much easier access for chemo and the herceptin for the next year. No more poking my veins in my left arm. They just poke right through the port-a-cath in my chest and whallah I am good to go.
Sean says I'm just like Neo in The Matrix!
The dressing needs to stay on the wound for about 1 week. I will head to my family doctor to have it removed next Friday.
Dr. Garvin says I will feel like my shoulder has been beaten up for about 1-2 weeks. But after that all should go back to normal.
Right now it is pretty uncomfortable and it feels very strange to have something underneath my skin. I guess it takes about 2 weeks to get used to that feeling.
Off to bed now. I need some sleep. It's been a long day.
Love CJ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home